Thursday, May 25, 2006

We have the technology ...

So, I have my game plan. What's next? The tools to do the job.

I've downloaded the Medved QuoteTracker software. There are a myriad of third party tools that help analyze stocks. Most (including QuoteTracker) seem to be geared to the more active (day) trader. QuoteTracker is free though, and I'm a cheap bastard. I don't pay for a service to provide "real-time" stock quotes. I don't need it, I'm not doing intraday trading (buy and sell within the same day). The software offers a variety of technical analysis tools, and integrates itself with a variety of online brokerages. This isn't supposed to be an ad, just why I chose it.

There are also two very good chart analysis tools available online, Prophet.net and BigCharts.

With the software and charting tools out of the way it's time to choose a broker. Currently MB Trading looks the most appealing to me. They have some of the lowest commission rates, but I need to call them and find out what sort of strings their "0.01 per share" plan has. Usually plans like this require a certain number of trades per month, or a monthly fee. While they didn't list any such requirements on the website, they didn't specify that these requirements don't exist. In addition they support the free software I have, allowing me to do analysis and trade orders all in one place and 'offline' (aside from data input). I also looked them up at the NASD website, and they are properly registered (and located in the US as opposed to the Cayman Islands).


Next up, opening an account ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home